Common Questions

What is Counselling?


Currently in Canada, the title “Counsellor” is not protected meaning that anyone can call oneself a counsellor. However, a Registered Clinical Counsellor (RCC) is a member of the B.C. Association of Clinical Counsellors (BCACC) which maintains high standards to ensure clients receive accountable and ethical service. RCCs are qualified professionals who hold a minimum of a Master’s degree in counselling psychology or related studies from an accredited institution.

What is Somatic Experiencing?

Somatic – re-regulation of the nervous system after experiencing trauma such as accidents or abuse (which may have manifested as depression, anxiety, chronic pain, etc.). The person is not required to relive or retell a traumatic event.

What is Adventure-Based & Expriential Counselling?

Experiential – incorporating adventure-based or nature-based activities creating an opportunity to make tangible connections between clients’ own actions, perceptions, or challenges and how they can make change in their own lives.

How is Counselling paid for?

Although counselling fees are not covered under the BC Medical Services Plan, a Registered Clinical Counsellor can be an approved provider for many extended health plans (e.g. Pacific Blue Cross, Great West Life), Employee Assistance Programs, the Crime Victim Assistance Program and other health benefits programs.

Pro bono services are offered on a limited basis. If finances are a barrier, please ask about these options.

How long does Counselling take?

There is no fixed amount of time that is guaranteed to resolve particular problems. Counselling is very much focused on you and you decide for yourself what your goals are and when you are ready to finish counselling. Some people choose to finish, take a break, or return to counselling at another time. It is entirely your decision.